•Amazon.com is raising the price of its two-day shipping membership, Amazon Prime, from $79 a year to $99 as a result of rising shipping costs. Members worried about getting their money’s worth should know that […]
• “12 Years a Slave” took home this year’s Oscar for Best Motion Picture. The historical, true story beat out “Gravity,” which had already received seven Oscars that evening, according to The Wall Street Journal. […]
• Facebook Inc. announced last week that it will pay $19 billion for a startup messaging company, WhatsApp. The deal will be the largest acquisition of a startup company in history, according to the Wall […]
• A few protestors went to the extreme of smashing their iPhones when Apple removed the app, Blockchain, from the App Store. The app is the most popular digital currency wallet for users hoping to […]
• The results of the Obama administration’s analysis of the Keystone XL pipeline revealed that the pipeline will have little impact on global climate change. The study showed that the pipeline would not increase the […]
Fast-food jobs — in the tough economy — are increasingly being filled by older workers instead of teenagers. Today, the average fast-food worker is 29 years old and more than 26 percent are parents raising children, according to the New York Times. […]
• China’s thirst for dairy is increasing dramatically and so are imports of milk and dairy-based products such as cheese and yogurt. Consumption of dairy products in China is expected to rise 20 percent over the next four years, according to the Financial Times.
• Sales of DSLR cameras, the large cameras with interchangeable lenses used by photographers, are rapidly declining, raising concerns for companies such as Canon Inc. and Nikon Corp. The change is due to the widespread use of smartphone cameras, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Thanksgiving falls much later than last year, leaving only 25 days between Black Friday and Christmas. Due to the delay (six shopping days less than last year), consumers can expect to see holiday deals beginning earlier, before Thanksgiving feasts and the famous holiday-shopping kick-off, according to the Wall Street Journal. […]
Classic characters of rock ’n’ roll, such as Thom Yorke of Radiohead and Talking Heads frontman David Byrne, refuse to allow their content to be put on the music-streaming site, Spotify, saying music- streaming sites have the potential to ruin music’s creativity, according to CNBC. […]
A new psychological study that was released asserted that chewing popcorn in movie theaters allows people to avoid internalizing the subliminal messages of advertising, according to Bloomberg Businessweek. […]