Five students hospitalized with serious injuries after car crash

By Michelle Lampariello & Nicole Viviano
Editor-in-Chief & Staff Writer

Five students were seriously injured in a collision outside of 1817 Pennington Road in the early morning hours of Sunday, Dec. 2. All of the students remain at Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton and St. Mary’s Hospital in Langhorne, Pennsylvania as of Sunday night.

The following students were injured in the crash:

Danielle DeFlores, 21, a senior biology major from Brick, New Jersey

Matthew DeGenova, 21, a senior accounting major from Belmar, New Jersey

Anthony Galante, 19, a sophomore finance major from North Bellmore, New York

Ryan Moore, 21, a senior marketing major from Midland Park, New Jersey

Michael Sot, 20, a sophomore math major from Clark, New Jersey

There is an ongoing investigation regarding the cause of the collision, though preliminary reports suggest that one of the vehicles crossed the center line, striking the other vehicle head-on.  

According to the Ewing Township Police Department, injuries sustained in the crash include a brain injury, broken bones, a ruptured bladder and multiple lacerations and contusions, though information regarding which victims have sustained which injuries has not yet been released.

A total of eight people were involved in the crash — the vehicle containing the five students had six occupants, and the other vehicle had two. Six of the eight injured are currently in critical condition.

After the Ewing Township Police Department received multiple 911 calls regarding a two-vehicle collision with injuries, officers arrived on scene to assist multiple victims who were trapped inside both vehicles. Among several first responders were officers from Ewing Fire Stations 30, 31 and 33, who worked to free the victims, according to a press release issued by the Ewing Township Police Department.

A GoFundMe has been set up for the five students to pay for “hotel rooms for the family, medical bills and other incurred fees,” according to William Walker, the campaign’s organizer and a senior marketing major. As of 5:30 p.m., $20,425 has been raised.

Walker is the president of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. Galante, DeGenova, Sot and Moore are all brothers of Phi Kappa Psi, and DeFlores is a sister of Delta Zeta sorority. The College’s counseling and psychological services will be providing outreach to members of the organizations that the victims belong to, and is available for individual and group postvention processing, as needed, according to a campus-wide email from Dave Muha, the College’s spokesperson.

“We are sending healing thoughts to our students injured in the car crash and our heartfelt and deep support and compassion to their families, friends, and loved ones. The outpouring of concern and prayers from the campus community, including tonight’s vigil and the GoFundMe effort, says a lot about TCNJ as a caring community. The accident reminds us how life can change in an instant and how essential it is to be there for others,” said College President Kathryn Foster.

Anyone with information concerning the crash should contact Officers David Massi or Paul Digristina of the Ewing Township Police Department at (609) 882-1313.

8 Comments on Five students hospitalized with serious injuries after car crash

1. This article should be deleted until all the facts from the investigation are out. First of all, what were college students doing so late at night. They should have been home sleeping. I seriously doubt they had classes that late at night. Second, why did someone set up a go fund me account. The students should be responsible for all the damages that occurred during the accident. Please get your facts first before posting articles.

2. Alex, this is a responsible piece of student journalism. It’s clear the authors reached out to multiple sources (emergency responders, student leaders, and university communications). When reporting on emergencies such as this one, these are often the best sources and the most information a journalist can get in the immediate aftermath. This accident undoubtedly affects so many TCNJ students, faculty, staff, administration, and more; these student journalists have a duty to let their community know what is going on in an accurate, time-efficient manner; Ms. Lampariello and Ms. Viviano did just that in this article.

3. @alex gonzalez you are an absolute fucking idiot. I don’t know wtf goes through your head. Do you realize there is a student involved in that crash who is currently on life support and yet u have the audacity to comment some dumb shit like that. U are a sad excuse for a man go fuck yourself

4. Alex, You disgusting HATE Troll. According to unreleased police info, these Students are most likely victims of a DRUNK Driver. Police have been in contact with parents of the TCNJ Victims. The students who were at a Saturday night gathering were doing the right thing and had TCNJ Sophomore Michael Sot as their DESIGNATED SOBER DRIVER taking them home when a SPEEDING Car, crossed into his lane and hit him head on. These kids are all critically injured and 4 of them have life threatening/altering injuries w/unimaginable medical costs attached. SHAME on YOU! Why don’t you stop spewing hate & LIES from behind your computer, make a GFM Donation and go to church to pray for these innocent victims.

5. Alex has issues.
    Karma is a b*tch. Maybe he’s responsible for the crash.

Lord bless those students and their families at this difficult time.

6. Xan and Lola, why do you waste your time dealing with trolls like Alex? Don’t bother getting riled up over dumb comments from the likes of him. Telling him to go fuck himself? Geeez, do you think a troll like that is doing anything other than laughing at the fact that he got you to go full tilt? Get a grip