By Julia Dzurillay
Cauliflower has become a trendy ingredient used to cut carbs, but maximize flavor and flare. Substituting cauliflower for rice is a great way to add Vitamin C and Vitamin K to your diet, and the egg adds some protein. I left my rice cooker at home, so I was excited to give this recipe a try.
If you want to save time, cook a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and throw them in the frying pan instead of using fresh carrots and celery. If you want to cut back on salt, use low-sodium soy sauce instead of regular soy sauce. As an added bonus, throw some scallions and teriyaki sauce on top to make the meal look as good as it tastes.
Makes: Two servings
1 large cauliflower head
2 tbsps vegetable oil
1 stalk of celery
1/2 cup of frozen peas
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp of chopped ginger
3 tbsps soy sauce
1. Pulse small chunks of cauliflower into a rice-like consistency with a food processor. You can also use a knife or cheese grater to chop it into fine pieces if you do not have a food processor.
2. Boil water and cook frozen peas according to package instructions. Set aside.
3. Peel and cut carrot into small cubes. Dice celery and onion. Set aside.
4. Beat and scramble egg in a large frying pan. Remove egg from the frying pan and set aside.
5. In the same frying pan, add vegetable oil, ginger, garlic, carrot, celery and onion. Cook over medium heat for about five minutes, or until onions are translucent.
6. Add cauliflower “rice” and soy sauce. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Stir in peas and egg. Cook for an additional five minutes over medium-low heat.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!