By Julia Dzurillay
From rainbow bagels to unicorn drinks to galaxy donuts, the colorful dessert trend has taken over our social media feeds. By following a few simple steps, you can create your own Insta-worthy treat with delicious cupcakes.
This unicorn cupcake recipe is great for beginner bakers looking to step out of their comfort zone this semester. All you need is a little food dye, some sprinkles and a pinch of imagination.
Neon food dye
16 ounces of vanilla frosting container
2 gallon sized plastic bags
1 package of vanilla cupcake mix
2 dozen cupcake liners
1. Prepare your pan with cupcake liners and preheat oven according to the directions on the box.
2. Make cupcake batter according to instructions on box.
3. Separate batter into four bowls.
4. In each of the four bowls, add a different color food dye and mix well.
5. Scoop two heaping spoonfuls of each color batter into one of the plastic bags.
6. Seal the plastic bag and cut one of the bottom corners. Pour batter into each cupcake liner until half full.
7. Bake cupcakes according to the box directions. Set aside to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
8. While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the icing.
9. Separate icing into four bowls and add a different color of food dye to each bowl. Mix well.
10. Place the other gallon sized bag in a tall glass with one of the bottom corners facing the bottom of the glass. This will make it easier to pour the icing into the bag.
11. Add each color to the side of the bag without crossing each other. This will create a swirled color effect when the icing is added to the cupcakes.
12. Snip the bottom corner of the bag and push the icing through the opening.
13. Spread the icing onto the cupcakes, add sprinkles and enjoy!