Spring starts this week, and here is a great treat to kick off the season. I’ll admit, I’ve never made these, but they look so delicious and fun to make that I cannot wait to make them this year. Kellogg’s calls these Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats, but I don’t think we need to wait until Easter to make them — these delicious snacks deserve to be eaten now.
Ingredients (for serving size of 12):
• 12 plastic snap-apart 3×2-inch Easter eggs
• 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
• 4 cups miniature marshmallows
• 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
• ½ cup M&M’S
• Canned frosting or decorating gel (this is optional)
1. Clean then coat the inside of plastic eggs with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well-coated.
4. Using greased hands, firmly press 1/4 cup of the cereal mixture into each plastic egg half. Use fingers to make hollow center in each half. Remove from molds. Place on wax paper. Cool slightly.
5. Place about six M&M’S in one half of each egg. Gently press two halves of each egg together until they stick. Cool completely.
6. Decorate with frosting and additional M&M’S (if desired). Best if served the same day.
Expect this to take 40 minutes and enjoy!
This recipe is taken from the Kellogg’s website.