Roscoe to host life of Sarnoff

By Caitlyn Camacho
Staff Writer

The David Sarnoff Library will be moved to the renovated Roscoe West Library. (Brittany Oldewurtel / Staff Photographer)
The David Sarnoff Library will be moved to the renovated Roscoe West Library. (Brittany Oldewurtel / Staff Photographer)

The David Sarnoff Library will move to the College’s renovated Roscoe West library in 2010, according to Matthew Golden, executive director of public relations and communications.

According to the library’s Web site, the David Sarnoff Library is a collection documenting the life of David Sarnoff and the history of radio, television and communication and, more specifically, the history of the Radio Corporation of America (RCA).

Sarnoff was a corporate executive who contributed to the electronic revolution by advocating the development of both radio and television. In 1946, Sarnoff introduced the world’s first electronic color television system.

The David Sarnoff Library closed its doors at its present location at Sarnoff Corporation’s corporate headquarters in Princeton, N.J. on July 31.

The Sarnoff museum curator, Alex Magoun, could not be reached for comment.

“Plans are currently underway to prepare space for the collection, and the construction is expected to be complete in the spring of 2010,” Golden said. “The Sarnoff collection will be housed on the second floor of the renovated 1968 portion of the Roscoe West Library.”

In addition to housing the Sarnoff Library, the 1968 wing of Roscoe West Library will hold offices for the Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF), tutoring and career services as well as two large multi-purpose rooms.

The older wing of the Roscoe West Library, the 1934 side, is slated to house the College art gallery, and the offices of admissions, development and alumni relations.