Athletic competitions are some the most entertaining happennings of College life, but not enough students take advantageof this.
Here is a list of the top five games or matches that you must catch if you are a Lions fan. Most end early enough to catch some amazing after parties.
5. Women’s Tennis will host a Lions Fall Kickoff Sept. 6-7, and will play matches against Carnegie Melon and New York University (NYU). Last year, the Lions defeated Carnegie Melon 7-2 and defeated NYU 6-3. Cheer on the women’s tennis team during one of their few home matches as they hope to repeat the success of last year.
4. Last year, men’s soccer lost to Richard Stockton College in the final game of the season 2-0. The Lions will hope to enact revenge on the often high- ranked Ospreys, at Stockton on Oct. 1.
3. The women’s soccer team was able to win the NJAC championships over Montclair State University 2-0 last year and on the way they had defeated Stockton 1-0 in the NJAC semi-finals. Catch the Lions as they hope to repeat their success over these teams in this year’s regular season. The Lions will face the Montclair Red Hawks in an away game on Oct. 25.
2. Over the past two years, the Lions field hockey team’s season has ended with an NCAA Division III semi-finalist finish at the hands of Messiah College.
Last year No. 2 ranked Messiah defeated No. 4 Lions 1-0, the year before Messiah won 2-1 in overtime. The Lions will host Messiah on Oct. 21.
1. I’ve watched the Lions football team lose to the Rowan University Profs three years in a row now and it’s about time the Lions win. In 2002, the Lions lost 30-25, despite having a 19-0 lead. In 2001, I nearly cried along with the rest of the College when the Lions lost by one point, 28-27, because they went for a 2-point conversion in the final seconds of the game rather than go for the tie.
In 2000, the Profs handed the Lions a 20-10 loss. The trip to Rowan University on Oct. 3 will well be worth the excitement that this gameis sure to produce.